Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dignity and Compassion

In my last blog we talked about dignity in our relationships, but it is worth noting that the first of the values espoused by Baptistcare is dignity and compassion in our relationships. What is the significance of having these two words (dignity and compassion) coming together in the same sentence?

The dictionary describes compassion as: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. The question is, where does the emphasis lie: With me or with you? We can place the emphasis on me as the provider of compassion, or on you as the recipient of compassion.

As the provider of compassion I most likely want something in return, at the very least thanks or gratitude. As the provider of compassion, I will most likely assign some value to the compassion I am providing. In other words, I will sum up whether some situations or people are more eligible or more worthy of my compassion than others. The result is that there is a power imbalance. The provider of compassion has the power and is using that power to his or her advantage.

If the focus is on the receiver of compassion, the situation changes quite significantly. Now I will be trying to find out what the needs of the person are, rather than thinking about my own needs; I will be concerned about how the person feels about my involvement in his or her life, rather than imposing something against their will; I will treat that person with dignity so that compassion is not something that is imposed but something that is shared.

I’d love to hear some examples of how dignity and compassion work together.

3 comments:

  1. I believe BC staff at the coalface demonstrate the values of dignity, compassion,integrity and respect in our relationships with our residents and relatives on a daily basis. My wish is that the ELT will return to treating these coalface staff according to the BC values as opposed to being finance driven only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Of course, we need to be financially viable, or none of us would have a job, but it is critical that our mission drives what we do and not the other way around. It would be interesting to hear some practical ways that this can be achieved.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respect,dignity,compassion .All very easy to say and yet it seems to be expected that the "coal face workers" are to give it in abundance, which I and my co workers can certainly say, strive to do.Can I say with hand on heart that I receive it?? Not as often as one would think. And dissapointingly the worst offenders appear to be those who meet up, talk about,write down all of these wonderful expectations and yet provide it in scant amounts to its employees.Maybe baptist care need to re evaluate how it treats its coal face workers so that slogans like "Baptist Dont care" Do not become so common place as to see valuable staff re evaluate if they really want to work for a company who seem to be driven by money.

    ReplyDelete