Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stewardship

Strange as it may seem to some people, I like books. I have a bookshelf on which stands a number of books that were handed down from my dad. To some observers they are just old books, but I hold them with pride because of their age and what they represent to me. I treasure these books, not because they are mine, but because I have a sense that I am holding them on behalf of a previous generation.

This is the essence of stewardship. Dictionary.com describes a steward as a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others. Christians usually add another dimension to stewardship, acknowledging that God has given us the responsibility and privilege to look after his creation and recognise his sovereignty in all things.

We’ve had a bit of a break over Christmas but as we come back to reflecting on Baptistcare’s values, we come to the fourth which is “Stewardship of the responsibilities in our care.”

As we think about all that we have responsibility for in the workplace, the hardware and property, the people, the relationships, and the intellectual property, we can take the view that these things are just paperbacks that we have picked up at the local book exchange, or we can treasure them like some of my dad’s old books that carry memories, emotion, history and value.

Working for Baptistcare is a means to put bread on the table and a roof over our heads, but greater worth and value is given to that job when we recognise our role as stewards of all the responsibilities in our care.

Can you suggest any ways that we exhibit this sense of stewardship in our workplace?

No comments:

Post a Comment