Monday, January 31, 2011

Some more thoughts on stewardship ...

Whether it is about buying cars, Coke or washing detergent, television commercials tell me that the most important person in my life is me. Of course, at one level they are quite correct, because if I don’t look after myself I just may not be in a fit state to look after anyone else. But there is a sense in which my concern for the good of others is a very important part of who I am, so to neglect my need to love and support others is in essence a neglect of the real me.

Take this argument a step further. If all my responsibilities are focussed on me and my needs, these responsibilities eventually lose their value. However, the value of these responsibilities, and therefore the benefit that I will gain from them, comes when I acknowledge that what I am doing has a higher benefit.

The responsibilities that we have as employees of Baptistcare, or for that matter the membership of our local club, or as a member of a family, gain greater significance when the focus is not upon what I can get out of the relationship, but what I can contribute to that relationship or situation.

For me stewardship means acknowledging that all that I have has been entrusted to me by God. It enables me to be thankful that I have a job, a family, a roof over my head, and some great friends. Stewardship means putting my best into what I do and nourishing the relationships I have so that the people around me will benefit. It means taking personal responsibility for maintaining a high and noble view of life and looking beyond the present and the mundane.

Stewardship is....

I’d love to hear your ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Rob, this a great commentary. Stewardship is a concept that can be a bit difficult to get one's head around and your explanation is very succinct and easily understood. With modern society so focused on consumerism and profit, it's well worth us as individuals to reflect on what we really value, and I'm sure universally it won't be about "ownership" and materialism, rather in giving, nurturing and sharing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob I got allot out of that. Its an interesting subject. There are so many different kinds of stewardship. Some material and some of the spiritual and so on. I think that the challenge that has been layed to me by Christ. Is to display stewardship over things which are not in my immidiate value system. As you mentioned "Me" is often at the top of the list. But the blessing is in when it is "them". Through that blessing we discover the value which allows change in that value system.
    Thank you, Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stewardship to me is about looking after that which we have been entrusted to care for. It entails respect and honouring towards those we serve, and relies on a compassionate approach which takes us out of ourselves and focusses on the other.
    Thanks for the thought-provoking insights Rob.

    ReplyDelete