Monday, February 28, 2011

Be Still ...

Each Monday morning at our Applecross office, some members of Baptistcare staff spend some time in reflection as a way of starting our work week together. It usually takes the form of a reading from the Bible, a thought from someone about what the reading means to them, and a time when people can pray together for the coming week.

This morning we heard the words from Psalm 46: “Be still and know that I am God.”

In a world of chaos and confusion, a working life of busy-ness and pressure, and in some cases, a home life where things don’t seem to go the way we would like them, these words come as a welcome invitation.

As I reflect on these words, I don’t see a requirement to take more action, when there’s already so much happening around me; I don’t see a requirement to establish an academic knowledge of religion; and I don’t necessarily see an expectation to conform to a particular pattern of behaviour.

What I see is an invitation to pause from the rush and bustle of life to feel the welcoming presence of One who knows exactly how I am feeling right now and longs to share my journey with me. It is the still, small voice of One who prizes a relationship with me above all other demands and expectations.

By the way, if you’re near Applecross at 8.30am Monday come and join us for a time of reflection.

2 comments:

  1. That verse is one of my favourites. My kids laugh because I have it printed on the book rest on my exercise bike. However it reminds me as I pedal to be still in my mind and wait on God to see the answers to the things that tend to cause stress. Paul wrote in 1 cor 2:9 "Eye hath not seen nor ear heard neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." Be still & know
    Ken Chandler

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weekly reflection sessions show me that we are a 'real' faith based organisation and we care enough about our staff to come together in this way.

    ReplyDelete