Monday, April 18, 2011

Holiday .... or Holy Day?

Life seems pretty busy for most people. For some the idea of having five days off at the end of this week is pretty appealing. For others having that amount of time off when there is so much work to be done is more of an annoyance than a benefit.

I suspect that when a public holiday was first suggested at Easter time there was some thinking about recognising the importance of the event, and taking the time to honour the One who we remember at this time. Instead of it being a holy-day, it became a holiday, or a day when we could indulge ourselves in more food, more recreation and more “me time”. I have this funny feeling that this wasn’t the intention of Easter.

Instead, the holiday – or should I say holy-day – was established to remember One who gave up his own benefits for the good of others; whose sacrifice was not giving up eating meat or chocolate, but giving up his own life for the good of humanity.

Yes, I would like to enjoy myself this weekend, and I’m planning to spend some time with the family, and plant the winter veges. But I’m also going to take the time to hear again the story of Jesus and to ponder what his sacrificial love means to me. If going to church is not your usual practice on a weekend, I can think of no better time than this weekend to make the effort to visit your local church and reflect on the true meaning of Easter.

Odds are the roof won't fall in!

No comments:

Post a Comment