Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just another cog in the wheel

I went to a Medicare the office the other day for the first time. When I walked in the door I was confronted by a touch screen kiosk where I could indicate the reason for my visit. After making my choice a ticket came out of the machine and I realised that I was now identified as person number A235. I sat down in the waiting area and watched the numbers on the large screen on the wall changing from time to time to the sound of an electronic voice announcing that number B146 could move to counter five.

All I wanted to do was change my personal details and get some money, but I had the distinct impression that I was no longer a real person with the capacity to manage my own affairs, to plan, to think, to dream, to hope. I was now cog that looked like every other cog in the great bureaucratic wheel of misfortune.

While the process was established, no doubt, to facilitate a smooth customer service experience, it had the effect of disempowering and disengaging the people who use the service.

One of the principles of person-centredness is recognising a person’s strengths. That means that the lowest common denominator is not good enough. As we walk alongside people our thoughts are not on their disability, their weaknesses, their failings and their disadvantage, but on their strengths, their capabilities, their achievements and their contributions.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rob
    What a cold room that must have felt like.
    The process of administration that accompanies the things we do, is indeed a superb opportunity to practice person centered approaches. The kindness of people, the healing aspects of conversations. Can be free. Perhaps as we grow our spirit and our mission, we can influence others like Such places, to offer opportunities for human volunteers to replace the machines. I am sure that this will be considered a valued role by many. The opportunity to sit and talk to another person while they wait for a service, rather than picking numbers and sitting cold.
    Thanks for this reflection...
    K

    ReplyDelete