Friday, September 14, 2012

Don't "dis" me with that language

Language changes over the years, but we are not always aware of the way those changes are occurring. As a person who heard the Bible read from the King James Version as a child I am aware of language that was used in 1611 (I wasn't around then, but the King James Bible hit the streets at that time) that is still being quoted by some people in the 21st century.

For instance words like paralytic, demoniac, leper and cripple were words that were used in a bygone era. I am pleased to say that more recent versions of the Bible have addressed the changes in language to reflect a different approach to disability than was evident in earlier generations.

Our traditions, whatever they may be, often influence the language and the attitudes that we have to a whole range of things and it is important that we can learn to honour our traditions at the same time as moving towards new ways of expressing ourselves.

In my last post I talked about the need to watch the language we use when we talk about people with disabilities. I have had some good responses from people who have appreciated the importance of taking care of the language we use. Thankyou for these comments.

Here is another resource that you may find beneficial in think about the language we use in relation to disability: "Don't dis me with that language".

No comments:

Post a Comment