Monday, September 13, 2010

Smell the Roses

Baptistcare’s mission statement says: Reaching out with the love of Jesus we work with individuals, families and communities to achieve their spiritual, emotional and physical wellbeing.

My wife and I took an hour on Sunday afternoon to visit the Carmel Rose Farm where the expansive gardens, ornamental lake and coffee shop provide a great opportunity to clear the mind and appreciate the Perth hills.
I have found that taking a break like this on a regular basis is important to maintaining emotional wellbeing.
That’s OK on the weekend, you may be saying, but how do we achieve emotional wellbeing in the stressful work-day world of aged and community services and then, if we can achieve, it how do we support others to also achieve emotional wellbeing?
Keeping mentally healthy is the focus of a very successful programme called Act Belong Commit. Check out their website http://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/ for some great ideas.
In my last blog I talked about being spiritually healthy, and for me that is the first step in becoming mentally healthy. When my work is not just a means to survive, but an opportunity to use my gifts and abilities to serve my Creator I find I am in a much better place to serve other people.
... and don’t forget to smell the roses.
http://www.melvillenurseries.com.au/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment