Monday, September 6, 2010

Spiritual Wellbeing

Baptistcare’s mission statement says: Reaching out with the love of Jesus we work with individuals, families and communities to achieve their spiritual, emotional and physical wellbeing. Having looked at what working individuals, families and communities may involve, we move on today to discuss how we can achieve spiritual wellbeing.

Spiritual wellbeing probably means completely different things to different people. For me spiritual wellbeing means living at peace with God, at peace with my neighbour and at peace with myself. I think Jesus summed that up when he was asked by a teacher of the law which was the greatest commandment. His reply was: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'”

One of the tools that I use to nurture spiritual wellbeing is a website produced by the Irish Jesuits. What’s a nice boy from an Irish Protestant background doing reading something from the Irish Jesuits?, you may ask. I make use of the Bible, prayer, meditation and the support of other people to help in my spiritual growth, but this website, www.sacredspace.ie is a simple and quick way of pausing on a daily basis to nurture my spirit. I encourage you to take the time to find ways to do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment